I’m at the West Point Military Academy this morning to pick up my son who spent the week there participating in the Summer Leaders Experience program.
When the news broke yesterday morning about the tragic accident at West Point that killed one cadet and injured many others, my world stopped. I knew my son was participating in “military training” starting at 5 am. Could his group have been involved? Was he and the other SLE program participants okay?
It’s the not knowing that eats at you.
When we finally heard that he and the others were okay, it was a huge relief. But the whole experience, coupled with the 75th anniversary of D-Day, was a sobering reminder of the risks the men and women in the military face every day, and of the sacrifices they make to protect our freedom, including the ultimate one.
Our condolences to the family and friends of the cadet who died yesterday, and we wish a speedy recovery to all who were injured.
In this week’s supply chain and logistics news…
- A first look at Amazon’s new delivery drone (TechCrunch)
- Air Canada Cargo Entering the Drone Delivery Market (AINonline)
- Blackstone Bets $18.7 Billion on Amazon Effect in Warehouse Deal (Bloomberg)
- Maersk invests €1.5 million in the Portuguese fashion logistics startup HUUB (EU-Startups)
- Trump threatens China with tariffs on further $300 billion of goods (Reuters)
- China moves to shut spigot on rare earths for first time in 5 years (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Kuebix TMS Acheives ‘Built for NetSuite’ Status
- E2open Announces Acquisition of Averetek
- May truck orders barely crack 10,000 units (CCJ)
- Life on the Road Gets a Little Easier as Truckers Adopt Digital Technology (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Driverless delivery trucks could hit California roads by year’s end (KCRA)
- Uber Turns Over Nearly All Freight Revenue to Truckers, Analyst Says (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Amazon shoulders its way into truckload brokerage space (CCJ)
- Amazon starts to roll out free one-day delivery for Prime members (CNBC)
Since I’m out of the office today, I will share my commentary next week.
Have a happy and safe weekend!
Song of the Week: “Saw Lightning” by Beck