Editor’s Note: This is one of the most popular posts we publish every year: our list of supply chain and logistics events to attend in the coming year. Most of the conferences on our list are in the U.S., although some are in Europe, South America, and Asia. Many of the leading ERP and supply chain software vendors have customer events in various countries around the world; you can check their websites for information regarding dates and locations. Also, if you have a favorite industry conference not included on the list, please post it in the comments.
Supply chain professionals often cite peer-to-peer learning and networking as the most valuable investment of time and money. “Who better to give me practical knowledge and advice about a problem or opportunity I’m working on,” they say, “than other executives who have already been down that road.” Conferences are a great example of peer-to-peer learning in action, but with so many supply chain and logistics conferences available, how do you decide which ones to attend? As I’ve shared in the past, here are three questions you should ask yourself:
1. Does the conference agenda align with the key initiatives I’m working on? Simply put, give priority to events where you will walk away with knowledge and information that you can immediately apply at your company to get your job done better and faster. And if you require the support of your technology and 3PL partners to accomplish your initiatives, then you should attend their user conferences and schedule meetings with their senior executives to let them know what’s working well and what improvements they can make to better serve you.
2. Will I learn something new, particularly in an area that I don’t know much about today but is critically important for my career and leadership development? If you’re a transportation professional, for example, and all you know is transportation, your opportunities for advancement are limited compared to someone who has a broader supply chain perspective. So, go ahead, attend a session on Sales & Operations Planning (S&OP), supply chain risk management, business intelligence and analytics, or other area outside your comfort zone to brighten your horizon.
3. Does the event promote peer-to-peer learning and networking or will I spend most of my time sitting through numerous PowerPoint presentations? In my experience, events that enable attendees to share knowledge and advice with each other (via small breakout sessions, for example) instead of just sitting through an endless stream of PowerPoint presentations, provide the greatest learning value.
Below is a short list of the supply chain and logistics conferences scheduled for 2020. I’ve attended many of them in previous years, often as a speaker, and I’ve always walked away with some great insights and new business connections. Here are some posts I wrote this year sharing my takeaways from various conferences:
- Do Not Fear Left Turns: Takeaways from RouteSmart Technologies’ INTERSECT 2019 Conference
- MercuryGate 2.0: Takeaways from Velocity 2019 Conference
- BluJay SOAR 2019: Key Takeaways
- Takeaways From Descartes Evolution 2019
Before 2019 comes to a close, take another look at your budget for next year and make sure you’re not skimping on talent and leadership development.
I hope to see many of you at one or more of the following conferences this coming year. If you’re an event organizer and are interested in having me speak at your conference, please contact me.
Happy learning and networking in 2020!
Vendor Conferences (alphabetical order)
- BluJay Solutions: SOAR 2020, September 28 – October 1, Orlando, FL
- CLX Logistics: Annual Customer Conference, TBA (usually in September in Philadelphia)
- Command Alkon: ELEVATE 2020, October 28-29, Hollywood, FL
- Dematic: Material Handling & Logistics Conference, TBA (2019: September 8-11, Park City, UT)
- Descartes Systems Group: Evolution 2020, March 17-19, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- enVista: FUEL 2020, TBA (2019: September 25-27 in Scottsdale, AZ)
- HighJump Software: Elevate 2020, March 2-5, Orlando, FL
- Infor: Inforum 2020, September 14-16, Las Vegas, NV
- JDA Software: ICON 2020, May 4-7, Denver, CO
- LLamasoft: LLamaCon 2020, June 17-19, Hollywood, FL
- Manhattan Associates: Momentum 2020, May 18-21, Las Vegas, NV
- McLeod Software: UC2020, September 27-29, Washington, D.C.
- MercuryGate: Velocity 2020, TBA (2019: May 5-7, Las Vegas, NV)
- Nulogy: xChange 2020, January 19-21, Phoenix, AZ
- Oracle: Modern Supply Chain Experience 2020, March 23-26, Chicago, IL
- project44: Transform 2020, TBA (2018: September 12-13, Chicago, IL)
- Quintiq: World Tour 2020: TBA: Various dates and cities around the world
- RouteSmart Technologies: INTERSECT 2020, TBA (2019: Sept. 22-24, Baltimore, MD)
- SAP: SAP SAPPHIRENOW, May 12-14, Orlando, FL
- SMC3: Jump Start 2020, January 27-29, Atlanta, GA and Connections 2020, June 24-26, Colorado Springs, CO
- 3Gtms: Innovate 2020, May 5-7, Orlando, FL
- TMW Systems: in.sight User Conference + Expo 2020, TBA (2019: September 15-18, Houston, TX)
- Transplace: Ignite 2020, May 4-6, Austin, TX
Industry Conferences (chronological order)
- Link 2020 Retail Supply Chain Conference, February 23-26, Dallas, TX
- 2020 Food Industry Transportation and Logistics Conference, February 23-25, Orlando, FL
- 20th TPM Annual Conference, March 1-4, Long Beach, CA
- MODEX, March 9-12, Atlanta, GA
- The 2020 IWLA Convention & Expo, March 15-17, San Diego, CA
- Logistics Summit & Expo, March 18-19, Mexico City, Mexico
- SITL 2020, March 17-20, Paris, France
- TIA 2020 Conference, April 1-4, Austin, TX
- Warehousing Education and Research Council (WERC) Conference, May 3-6, Providence, RI
- FreightWaves LIVE, May 6-8, Atlanta, GA
- The Logistics & Supply Chain Forum, May 31 – June 2 in Naples, FL
- Home Delivery World 2020, June 3-4, Philadelphia, PA
- TMSA 2020 Logistics Marketing & Sales Leadership Conference, June 7-10, Nashville, TN
- Eft Reuters Events Supply Chain USA 2020, June 16-18, Chicago, IL
- APICS 2020, September 13-15, New Orleans, LA
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) EDGE 2020, September 20-23, Orlando, FL
- 22nd Annual EMEA Supply Chain & Logistics Summit, TBA (2019: September 24-26, Antwerp, Belgium)
- SCMA National Conference, September 30 – October 2, Toronto, Canada
- LogiChem US 2020, October 5-6, Houston, TX