I would be on a ferry heading to Long Island right now.
For the past six Memorial Day weekends, I’ve been going to a baseball tournament on Long Island with my sons. This meant skipping school and work on Friday and leaving the house by 6:00 am to catch the 9:00 am ferry in Connecticut. The first game was usually Friday night, the last one Monday morning, with lots of cheering, highs and lows, and ice cream in between.
With neither of my boys playing baseball this year, the streak has come to an end.
They are at school this morning, I am at work.
The 9:00 am ferry left on time this morning,
Another high tide heading out.
Here’s the supply chain and logistics news that caught my attention this week:
- Freight Market Shifts into Lower Gear (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- ‘MissionRacer’: How Amazon turned the tedium of warehouse work into a game (Washington Post)
- Ford and Agility Team Up for Bipedal Robot Deliveries (PC Magazine)
- Manhattan Associates Creates New Program to Advance Warehouse Robotics and Automation
- Elemica Drives Innovation with Recent Supply Chain Quality Solution Acquisition
- U.S. Postal Service Tests Self-Driving Trucks (NPR)
- C.H. Robinson Acquires Dema Service S.p.A. to Expand Global Presence
- Former Walmart Executive Tracy Rosser Joins Transplace as EVP of Operations
- McLeod Software Partnership with HubTran Showing Great Results at Becker Logistics, Ready to Benefit other 3PLs
- DoorDash Raises $600M, Showing Food Delivery On Demand Is Still Hot (Crunchbase)
- Stein Mart installs Amazon Lockers in nearly 200 stores (TechCrunch)
- Germany’s First ‘Electric’ Highway Charges Trucks as They Drive (Bloomberg)
- Supreme Court Rejects UPS on Postal Service Delivery Prices (Bloomberg)
- ATA Truck Tonnage Index Jumped 7.4% in April
Although I’m not heading to Long Island today, I suspect many of you are hitting the road or taking the day off for the long weekend. So I’ll provide my comments next week.
Have a happy weekend!
Song of the Week: “Time (Clock Of The Heart)” by Culture Club