Tomorrow at this time, if all goes well, I will have been cycling for 3+ hours and nearing the 50-mile mark. I will have another 3+ hours and 50 miles to go.
Tomorrow is the JDRF Ride at Saratoga Springs, NY.
I’m on my way there this morning to meet up with my Logistics Leaders for T1D Cure teammates. Why do we do this? To help find a cure for type 1 diabetes for those living with the burdens of this disease, like my daughter Hannah.
Tomorrow at this time, my daughter will have been living with T1D for almost 11 years. How many more days and years and insulin doses does she have to go before a cure is found?
That is the question that powers me up the hills and through the pain and exhaustion of those final miles.
Thank you to everyone who has donated to the cause so far, and to our team sponsors, e2open and TranzAct Technologies. As a team we have raised over $26K so far this year, which is very good, but we’re still below our goal. If you’d like to make a donation, it’s not too late to help us reach our goal. You can donate via my page — any amount is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your support!
I’ll share some photos and stories from the ride next week.
In the meantime, here is the supply chain and logistics news that caught my attention this week:
- West Coast port congestion leads Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific to test new ideas in cross-country rail shipping (CNBC)
- Railroads Reverse Years of Streamlining to Improve Freight Service (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- The Supply Chain Broke. Robots Are Supposed to Help Fix It. (NYT – sub. req’d)
- Ocean Shipping Rates Have Plunged 60% This Year (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Uber Eats and Nuro sign a 10-year deal to do robot food delivery in California and Texas (The Verge)
- First aerial delivery drone granted design approval by FAA (AJOT)
- Descartes Announces Fiscal 2023 Second Quarter Financial Results
- project44 reports $124.1M in booked ARR in H1 2022, 115% YoY growth versus Q2 2021
- Cambridge Capital Announces Majority Investment in Boa Logistics and Flow Cold Storage, in Partnership with Management, to Accelerate Growth
- Union Chief Willie Adams Steers a Tough Course Through Port Labor Negotiations (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Mercedes-Benz and Rivian plan JV to make electric vans in Europe (Reuters)
- Reefer challenges take a bite out of booming global perishables trade (The Loadstar)
Since I’m hitting the road, I’ll share my commentary next week.
Have a happy weekend!
Song of the Week: “Chapstick” by COIN