My bike is boxed, shipped, and on its way to Death Valley.
I’ll be there next week at this time, getting ready to cycle 100 miles in the desert with my Logistics Leaders for T1D Cure teammates.
Earlier this week, on October 4th, it was the 11 year anniversary of my oldest daughter Hannah getting diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D). She was 11 years old at the time. As I’ve written before, it is an anniversary that I don’t celebrate. No cake, no balloons, no presents. But it is a day that I cannot forget.
The first time I cycled in Death Valley was in 2016. I was given a blue JDRF bracelet before the ride and I have worn it ever since. Whenever I struggle during a bike ride, I look down at it and it brings me the strength I need to keep going. Unless it breaks, I won’t take it off until a cure is found.
And until a cure is found, I will continue to fundraise. It isn’t easy asking for donations, especially during hard economic times, but every donation counts and gets us closer to creating a world without type 1 diabetes. I’m still short of my fundraising goal, so if you’re interested in supporting the cause, you can donate via my page. Any amount is greatly appreciated.
Moving on, here’s the supply chain and logistics news that caught my attention this week:
- Cargo Shipowners Cancel Sailings as Global Trade Flips From Backlogs to Empty Containers (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Retailers Including Target, Walmart Get Tough on Suppliers With Fines for Late Orders (Bloomberg)
- Alert Innovation Signs Definitive Agreement to Be Acquired by Walmart
- Emerge Partners With MercuryGate to Streamline Spot Transactions
- Pritzker Private Capital Agrees to Invest in Kenco Logistics ￼
- Altana Technologies Lands $100M Series B to Fund Expansion
- Walmart GoLocal exceeds 5,000 delivery locations, outpacing company targets (Supply Chain Dive)
- IATA: Air cargo market stable despite latest decline (Air Cargo News)
- Small Businesses Getting Squeezed Out in Push for Warehouse Space (WSJ – sub. req’d)
Since Monday is a holiday for many, I suspect many folks are leaving the office early or taking the day off today. So, I’ll leave my commentary for next week too.
Have a happy weekend!
Song of the Week: “Burning” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs