I was born on a Sunday afternoon, 17,897 days ago.
It was sunny and hot, or maybe it was dark and raining, I really don’t remember.
I have spent 16 of my 49 years sleeping. And many of my awake years,
Did I mention I was born with my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck?
I took my first breath on a Sunday afternoon, and my father took his last one
on a Sunday too: the day after my 38th birthday. I was by his side.
I was awake that day. But I really don’t remember.
Just the final breath: a thimble of air, and then
Like the day I was born. I remember now:
it was sunny and warm, like these 49 candles burning on a cake.
I blow them out (make a wish) in one breath.
I didn’t sleep at all last night. I was awake, not dreaming
when I heard my children laughing in their sleep
And through the blinds I watched the light of the sun wash over
another August 2nd
I will always remember.
Author’s Note: Yes, it’s my birthday today, so I’m taking part of the day off. Also, Talking Logistics will be on hiatus next week for our summer break. If you miss us, you can watch some of our past episodes until we come back on August 12. Now, here’s the supply chain and logistics news that caught my attention this week:
- Trump hits China with more tariffs, says Xi moving too slow on trade (Reuters)
- Trucker Schneider National to Close Home Delivery Service (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Walmart and Nordstrom are building stores that don’t sell anything (CNN Business)
- Amazon Pushes Brands to Be Less Boxy (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- Descartes ShipRush™ Ecommerce Shipping Solution Now Offers Full LTL Freight Support
- UPS Launches My Choice® For Business Platform To Enhance Visibility And Control For SMBs
- Turvo Positions for Growth with Acquisition of Supply Chain IoT and AI Company, ODYN
- Attabotics raises $25 million to miniaturize fulfillment centers with robots (VentureBeat)
- Walmart Piloting Self-Driving Car in Hometown (Progressive Grocer)
- C.H. Robinson Reports 2019 Second Quarter Results
- Ryder Reports Record Second Quarter 2019 Revenue of $2.2 Billion, Up 7%
- Trucking Industry Revenues Top $796 Billion in 2018
- Truckers Wrestle With Oversupply of Big Rigs, Falling Freight Rates (WSJ – sub. req’d)
- FMCSA to explore prevalence of harassment against female, minority truckers (CCJ)
- JDA’s SaaS Momentum Continues with Strong Q2 Results
- MyEZClaim Integrated with XPO Logistics
Have a happy weekend! See you back on August 12!
Song of the Week: “Wait for It” by Leslie Odom Jr. (Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton)