We have taken another trip around the sun, without an asteroid collision slowing us down (or obliterating us). For that, I am grateful.
Who will come out with the first supply chain themed movie: Netflix, Amazon, or Apple? One thing is for sure: Tom Hanks will star as the lowly supply chain professional who saves the day. And my money is on Jack White for the movie’s title song.
How many letters are there in the Greek alphabet, and how do you pronounce them?
Here’s a prediction about the year ahead from one of our Indago supply chain research community members:
“As Herman’s Hermits once said, ‘Second verse, same as the first.’ Or maybe this is the third or even fourth verse by now, but the song remains the same. Tight capacity, labor shortages, port congestion, cost pressures. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of that will be materially different in 2022 than it was in 2021. Hoping to see some better days by 2023.”
I’m okay with taking another trip around our burning sun. Actually, more than okay. It would be a blessing.
A Heartfelt Thank You
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as reported by Fundera, “20% of small businesses fail in their first year, 30% of small businesses fail in their second year, 50% of small businesses fail after five years in business, [and] 70% of small business owners fail in their 10th year in business.”
Adelante celebrated its 11th anniversary last month.
So, to our clients, a heartfelt thank you for your continued trust and support. We look forward to continuing our partnership and collaborating with you in the coming year. Let’s keep beating the odds together.
Talking Logistics: By the Numbers
A big thank you to all of our Talking Logistics readers, subscribers, and followers for another great year of learning and conversation. The numbers speak for themselves:
35 episodes produced in 2021, totaling more than 1,000 minutes of conversations with thought leaders and newsmakers in the supply chain and logistics industry.
212 posts published on a wide range of timely and important industry topics, including the most comprehensive weekly news roundup in the industry and thought-provoking and insightful guest commentaries from our sponsors.
200+ podcasts on iTunes of our past episodes.
Below we highlight the top posts from this past year. E-commerce, last-mile delivery, and sustainability were among the topics making the list.
Indago: Research with Purpose
Thank you also to all of the supply chain and logistics practitioners in our Indago research community. We completed 34 surveys this year on a wide variety of industry topics and donated $3,200 to JDRF, American Logistics Aid Network, American Cancer Society, Feeding America, and Make-A-Wish.
Here is a list of the research topics we explored in Q4 2021.
- Supply Chain in the News (October 2021): How important is it for the general public to become more knowledgeable about supply chain management? Who needs to learn the most to drive positive change in the industry?
- Trust in Supply Chains (October 2021): Do you agree or disagree with the statement “you can’t be too careful” when dealing with people across your supply chain?
- Transportation Management Systems (October 2021): Is your company currently using a TMS? Which capabilities and return-on-investment factors are most important?
- Physical vs. Digital Supply Chains (October 2021): Which supply chain is more broken? What needs the most fixing?
- Negotiating LTL Rates (November 2021): When it comes to negotiating LTL rates, do you use a third-party base rate, individual carrier tariffs, or other approach?
- Taking More Control of Supply Chains (November 2021): Is taking more direct control of your supply chain becoming more important? What actions, if any, are you taking to obtain more control?
- COVID-19 in 2022 (November 2021): Will the risk of a COVID-related supply chain disruption be greater in 2022 compared to this year? Which potential disruptions are the most concerning?
- Lowering Minimum Age of Truck Drivers (December 2021): Do you support lowering the minimum age of interstate truck drivers to 18? How comfortable would you be having an 18 year old truck driver transporting one of your loads across state lines?
- 2022 Predictions (December 2021): What is the probability of certain issues continuing or emerging in the new year? What will stay the same in the year ahead despite all the changes in supply chain management?
Logistics Leaders for T1D Cure Team
Despite the ongoing challenges due to the pandemic, our Logistics Leaders for T1D Cure team raised $30,363 this year in support of JDRF and its quest to turn Type 1 Diabetes into Type None. This brings our total to over $284,000 since 2016!
Interested in joining our team in 2022? Please contact me. Cyclists of all abilities welcomed! Whether we ride in person or virtually, we have some fun plans for the year ahead. Stay tuned!
Top Talking Logistics Posts and New Episodes
We have many exciting new things planned for 2022, so stay tuned! In the meantime, in case you missed them the first time around or want to watch/read them again, below are the most popular Talking Logistics posts we published this year and the new episodes we aired in Q4. I encourage you to share this list with your colleagues, as well students, young professionals, and others who might be interested in joining our growing community. They can sign up for our email and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and iTunes to stay informed about upcoming episodes and to read our blog posts on industry trends and news.
Again, thank you for making this another fun and rewarding year on Talking Logistics and Indago. Happy Holidays and I wish you all much health, happiness, and success in 2022.
Top 10 Talking Logistics Posts in 2021
- The Future of Cross-Border E-Commerce
- VF Corporation: Supply Chain Mapping
- Technology’s Role in Enabling Supply Chain Sustainability
- Technology Trends in 2021 and Beyond
- Above the Fold: Supply Chain Logistics News (July 23, 2021)
- Last-Mile Delivery: What Will Separate Leaders from Laggards?
- Four Questions to Determine the Ideal Supply Chain Technology Provider
- How Logistics Technology Helps Shippers Overcome Challenges
- The Reality of Last Mile Delivery Challenges
- A New Approach to Contract Freight: How Shippers Can Refocus Their Transportation Strategy in 2021
Talking Logistics Video Episodes (Q4 2021)
Note: It’s difficult for us to rank our video episodes because many of them are hosted by our sponsors and we don’t have visibility to their views. Therefore, instead of a ranked list, below are the episodes we aired during the fourth quarter of 2021. For the rest of the episodes we aired this year, see our Q1 2021, Q2 2021, and Q3 2021 posts and our episode archive.
- [Video] Navigating the Wave of Ocean Shipping Constraints
- [Video] Unlocking Your Sustainable Future With Scope 3 Transportation Emissions
- [Video] From First Mile to Final Mile: Gearing Up for the 2021 Holiday Season
- [Video] Supplier Management: An Important Piece of Your Digital Transformation Puzzle
- [Video] How a True Digital Experience Helps Brokers Win the Capacity Battle and Build Carrier Loyalty
- [Video] Why You Should Conduct A Trade Compliance Self-Audit
- [Video] Finding The Right Balance In Last-Mile Delivery
- [Video] How an RMS Helps Optimize E-commerce Returns Management
- [Video] Leveraging Digital Freight Tools To Build Carrier Loyalty
- [Video] The Next Evolution in Supply Chain Technology
Note: Talking Logistics will be on holiday from December 21 – January 1. We will be back on January 3, refreshed and ready to go for another year of sharing insights and advice about what’s happening in the world of supply chain and logistics.Until then, here’s our final Song of the Week for 2021, “We Close Our Eyes” by Oingo Boingo.